Common Dental Issues We Fix:
Crooked, Uneven or Misaligned Teeth
No smile is perfect and doesn’t need to be. But, if crooked, uneven or misaligned teeth are impairing your overall dental health, your Waterville-area dentist can help.
Crooked, Uneven or Misaligned Teeth Dental Repair | General Family Dentistry | Waterville, ME
By Waterville Family Dentistry
How Do I Fix My Smile?Look, we know teeth that have become crooked, uneven, or misaligned, can create both oral health issues and make you feel a little down. Our take on it? Teeth with a little zig and a little zag are okay and help differentiate you from the rest of the herd. You have a unique personality and so do your teeth. That said, the alignment of your teeth can have a very positive impact on your total oral health, and it can make your beautiful smile even more on the beaming side of life.
Before and After A Smile Makeover
Why are my teeth crooked?Teeth become crooked over time for a number of reasons. In children, it’s sometimes caused by baby teeth growing crooked due to space or other issues. In kids, sucking on a thumb too long can leave teeth crooked and then, sometimes, it’s caused by genetics (meaning, it runs in the family). Either way, there are many options you can choose to straighten crooked teeth at Waterville Family Dentistry. Addressing this issue during the baby teeth phase can help avoid longer-term dental problems as an adult. Doing this can mean adult teeth will grow in straight and require much less dental care than would have otherwise been the case.
Factors Influencing Crooked, Uneven & Misaligned Teeth
- Size of Jawbone: Less chewing has lessened the size of the jawbone of modern humans. It’s possible this does play a major role in a lack of tooth alignment.
- Negative Repetitive Behaviors: From thumb sucking and pacifier use in kids to issues like tongue thrusting and mouth breathing.
- Misaligned Jaw (Overbite & Underbite): When the jaw is correctly aligned, it can help and prevent so many other dental issues from even happening. The upper teeth should fit over the lower teeth, with the grooves in the upper and lower molars matching up.
- Genetics & Heredity: Just because parents have issues with their teeth doesn’t mean kids will, it can still be a good indicator when it comes to preventative dental care.
- Trauma & Injury: It stinks, but it happens. When a tooth is injured and changes its position in the mouth, the problem can become more serious and affect other teeth over time.
- Nutritional Deficiency: Tooth decay can definitely be caused by a lack of nutrition at any age, and especially in children.
Problems Created By Uneven, Crooked & Misaligned Teeth
- Periodontal Disease
- Proper Chewing & Digestion
- Difficulties With Speech
- Uneven Wear & Tear
- Self-Esteem Issues
Your first visit won’t be your last.
We look forward to having you join our family here at Waterville Family Dentistry!